Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -InvestTomorrow
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 10:38:02
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Young Palestinian prisoners freed by Israel describe their imprisonment and their hopes for the future
- Who run the world? Taylor Swift jets to London to attend Beyoncé's movie premiere
- Scotland bids farewell to its giant pandas that are returning to China after 12-year stay
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Connor Stalions’ drive unlocked his Michigan coaching dream — and a sign-stealing scandal
- Sanders wins Sportsperson of Year award from Sports Illustrated for starting turnaround at Colorado
- Former Blackhawks player Corey Perry apologizes for 'inappropriate and wrong' behavior
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Rare giant rat that can grow to the size of a baby and chew through coconuts caught on camera for first time
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- AP Week in Pictures: Global | Nov. 24 - Nov. 30, 2023
- Jonathan Majors' trial on domestic violence charges is underway. Here's what to know.
- Still alive! Golden mole not seen for 80 years and presumed extinct is found again in South Africa
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Yes! Lululemon Just Dropped Special-Edition Holiday Items, Added “We Made Too Much” & Leggings Are $39
- Doggone good news: New drug aims to extend lifespan of dogs, company awaiting FDA approval
- A new study says about half of Nicaragua’s population wants to emigrate
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service extend 20th anniversary concert tour with 16 new dates
Governors Ron DeSantis, Gavin Newsom to face off in unusual debate today
Mississippi woman arrested on suspicion of faking nursing credentials
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
UN atomic chief backs nuclear power at COP28 as world reckons with proliferation
Activists Condemn Speakers at The New York Times’ Dealbook Summit for Driving Climate Change and Call for Permanent Ceasefire in Gaza
O-Town's Ashley Parker Angel Shares Rare Insight Into His Life Outside of the Spotlight